Conversational Rituals: The "How are you?" Habit

When thinking about how when you see a friend or someone you know you will usually ask the common question "how are you?" or "how are you doing?". I know that when I ask this question I usually get the response "I'm good, how are you?" and I answer "I'm good as well." This has become a habit for me to ask the question and answer it the same way every time. Now I think about this conversational ritual, I know it is considered polite, but is it sincere if it becomes a habit? I keep thinking about this and my answer is it is sincere because I remember to ask every time I see someone I know and saying "I'm good" as a habit is acceptable because I don't feel the need to tell everyone I know what is going on in my life. That being said, I believe it would be nice for myself and people I know to be more open when answering the question: "how are you?". This would allow real relationships to form and it would help when trying to get to know others more. I know this is probably way too many thoughts to have on a five-second conversation, but this is what my brain thinks about apparently.

Comments

Popular Posts